Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Urges.

I am having one last dinner party out of the blue Friday night. Guests know I have already packed my wine glasses so they are bringing the wine AND the glasses. I have plans for a nice pork roast but keep having urges to pair it with some sort of vegetable gratin. And then I look for a recipe and am overwhelmed by all the cream. I just can't do it. Looks like mashed potatoes it is. Possibly popovers too, just so we can be a little bit decadent. This is the general plan, just with some more Hungarian spices so my grandmother isn't too offended. And then her mashed potatoes and some kind of vegetable. I am always drawn to roasted carrots but am wondering if that's too root-vegetable heavy. But I do love me some roasted carrots, mmm. Maybe I will just make them tonight. Is it too early for decent asparagus? That might balance things out better...

Using an old desk so I don't have to sit on the floor (but I need to Craigslist it too...) and I just made an appointment to sell my dresser Saturday a.m. It's a start!

3 comments:

Alana in Canada said...

You know, I have just recently realised I have no idea what "au gratin" actually means. And somehow I'm incurious.
But where are you moving to? I read back a few pages of posts to try and figure it out but all that talk of bourbon bon bons was making me hungry!

Hope you can find some bigger boxes! Just don't put Cd's, books, or dishes in them.

Anne At Large said...

Au gratin really seems to translate to "douse it in dairy and bake it". And I am just not up to it.

We are moving to California in a couple of weeks to be closer to my grandmother and find real jobs. Knock on wood ;)

Alana in Canada said...

Oooh. Cal-i-forn-I-A. What a terrific adventure--and how wonderful for your grandmother. Lots of gardening opportunities there for you.