Sunday, July 13, 2008

Procrastinating again

Just a little bit...

Since I haven't been doing any big projects lately (ha!) as I have been so busy writing, and also since I have been procrastinating and reading lots of houseblogs where people are ripping out walls and doing all sorts of exciting renovations, I thought I would do a little tour of the parts of my home that I am happy with. Like, REALLY happy with, wouldn't change a thing happy with. Places I love. Just for fun, before I go back to my PowerPoint (and yes, the chapter is done and the end is in sight, just barely). This is my office, in all its goofy glory. My favorite room in the house.
Where I'm writing to you all from. This desk was a big investment for me and I love it, but it's balanced out by the fact that I rescued the chair from the greenhouse at work. And my grandmother just sent me a shrimp plant that she grew for me in one of my dad's old pots, so it's keeping me company here.This guy also keeps me company here, and he's also from my grandmother. I need to get his full story while she's still around (101 and cranky as ever, still living on her own, that's another story). The musical corner - with my favorite band posters ever for two of my favorite bands (and one of my favorite movies). The yellow isn't ideal with the wall color, but I love it so it's not going anywhere. Although it is making me reconsider another piece of wall art I was contemplating:It's a tin sign and I totally want it but the colors might fight with my walls terribly (and tin sign = no neat black frame to help it out like the yellow Beatles poster got). Sigh.The other half of the musical wall - basses only, I told Matt if he didn't want to hang his beautiful jazz guitar in here then all he could put in here was basses. This is my room and there will be no fugly electric guitars on my wall thankyouverymuch. The bookcase was a triumph, purchased from an ex of Matt's who was leaving town, I heartily disapproved of her but had been looking at these online for pretty much forever and she needed to get rid of it fast... perfect!One of my only real art purchases that I actually went to an opening for. It was at a CD store, but nonetheless, I bought it from an artist and I love it. Also another very happy spider plant from my grandmother. And the tippy bookshelf that I built. And a happy orange lantern my sister brought back from a trip to Vietnam. I love that all the stuff in here has a story.

I have discovered that I LOVE house tours. I wish AT still did good ones with commentary instead of lots of little vignettes (although that is kind of what this is, but that's because the room's too small to get it all in one shot).

6 comments:

Alana in Canada said...

It is a lovely room.
Good thing you enjoy it as I supposed you've been locked up in there for the past week or so!

Erin said...

That room looks great! I'm very jealous of how nice your desk and work area looks -- I need to work on something like that for myself.

drwende said...

That is indeed a very successful room.

Now please explain why guitars are bad but basses are okay... Rarely do I deal in instruments smaller than pianos, so I'm clueless.

Anne At Large said...

Thanks, Alana, I've had a lot of fun fixing it up! Erin, you should, it's totally worth it!

And Wende, it's some sort of inverted bass-clef snobbery. I play the tuba so I figured we should have one exclusively bass-clef room. That is actually the only room in the house with no guitars that isn't kitchen/bathroom.

scb said...

What a wonderful room! I love things that have a story. The Bass-Clef Room. That's great!

Adam said...

Your office is great! I love that chair, it is absolutely divine! i think you try putting up your tin Vespa sign, it is so cool and I think it would look great in there.