Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend Update: almost there!

I just sent in my defense powerpoint presentation today to get approval from my committee. Whatever they don't like, I have until Thursday to fix. Thursday at 8 am. I also need to bring snacks and coffee. WHY couldn't it be 9 am? Oy.

Also, I was going to go back in to work a bit this week since there's not much left that I can do, but I went in this a.m. and all of the machines in the lab are down and their budget is all messed up so they may not be fixing any of them this month. SO I am back home catching up on data entry (I figured I might as well be near a computer while I'm getting stuff done in case I get feedback from anybody on that presentation).

AND Matt has started pestering me about the front yard. We are going to get rid of 2/3 of the lawn for sure, but not until September at the earliest (too hot now). There will be probably one more tree put in, and then some dogwoods and Russian sage. Most of the rest will be decomposed granite. With a couple of rocks. So that's something else to add to the When I'm Done With My Thesis list - map out destruction and rebuilding of front yard. And find out who to talk to about the irrigation. Great. He always thinks up such fun projects for ME to do. He better help with this one, I don't want to run the sod cutter.

4 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

This is totally off topic, but I thought I better try to avoid confusion. You asked on May Dreams Gardens about the prounciation of "Heuchera." Dee responded that it's "Hew-ker-uh," but then I chimed in with what I've discovered is the correct prounciation based on the name of the person honored by it, "Hoy-ker-uh." But then it occurred to me that since most gardeners & garden centers have been misprouncing the name, you may as well too, so that everybody will know what you're talking about. So you may as well call it "Hue-ker-uh." Ok, I feel better now.

drwende said...

Thursday! Aha -- an end in sight...

Zack Sheppard said...

Last mile! :)

Anne At Large said...

So close, I know! It will be a real relief to get done.

And Mr. M's daughter, thanks for the clarification! I actually just pulled a huge weed out of my Heuchera because I had one of those "d'oh" realizations that coral bells don't get two feet tall (really similar leaves though, in my defense).