Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Garden Triumph!

Batch number one of seeds is in. The back beds now have lettuces, carrots, radishes, beets and some spinach in the really shady part. Batch two will include some later carrots, radishes and lettuces in another couple of weeks if I am on my game. And batch three at the end of the month will actually be seeds and seedlings, as by that time it will be warm enough to plant the tender stuff. I will be obtaining seedlings of tomatoes, zucchini, squash and peppers (and possibly eggplant). I also plan on putting in more thyme, lavender and gaura, as well as a bunch of basil when it is warm enough, but these don't need raised beds, they will be in amongst the perennials and shrubs.



This is my favorite, it's Gaura lindheimerii or something to that effect, but the common name is "Whirling Butterflies". Is that not the best plant name in quite possibly ever? I'd never seen this plant until I moved here, and I love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the Gaura! (Sommarljus in Swedish, roughly "Summer light"). I got white and pink ones for a big pot on my balcony last year, but spent the summer regretting I had not just gotten white ones... I will this year! :)