Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Vegetarian recipe coup

So this was a screaming success, I loved it so much I want to go eat all the leftovers right now. It was modified from a recipe on AT: The Kitchen based on what I had in my fridge and what I felt like bothering with and it came out GREAT.

3/4 pound shrimp
4 teaspoons oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 pkg. soba noodles
1 cucumber
1 carrot

For the sauce:
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (for lack of another spice source, it worked ok)
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook the garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes, then add the shrimp, lightly salt and pepper them and cook for 3-4 minutes.

In a large pot bring water to boil and boil soba for 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook. Peel and slice cucumber and carrot in thin strips while the noodles cook.

Whisk together sauce ingredients. Drain and rinse noodles, then toss with sauce, carrots, cucumber and shrimp.

Yet another of those "wish I took a picture before I gorged myself" moments. We seem to be eating a lot more pasta now that I am trying to cook without a meat-type main dish. It's sort of working so far, it's definitely making me plan meals much farther in advance, that's for sure. I think it's a good thing, this recipe is DEFINITELY a good thing.

2 comments:

drwende said...

I'm just impressed that anyone has that many ingredients on hand. I might be able to stretch to the oil and the peanut butter.

Anne At Large said...

I tend to have an odd variety of Asian ingredients on hand, and I'm not sure why. I don't specifically cook Asian food very often that I can think of, I just had it all, now that I think about it. And soba noodles are actually great for chicken noodle soup.

That said, I didn't actually use rice vinegar, it was whatever kind I had in the cupboard. The high levels of sesame oil disguised it just fine. Everything else was legit though.