Sunday, May 4, 2008

For my own reference, and also to share with anyone who likes crab

I went on a cooking bender last week, and this was one of the recipes that surfaced. I ripped it off from here:

http://www.shelterrific.com/2008/04/30/real-life-test-kitchen-crispy-cilantro-crab-cakes-with-mango-jalapeno-relish/#more-4048

and then did my own modifications.

Crispy Cilantro Crab Cakes (serves 6-8 as appetizer, 4 as entree)
3 cans Trader Joe's lump crab meat (6 oz. ea.)
1 box Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
3 green onions, chopped
2 eggs, whisked
Salt and pepper to taste (approx. 1/2 tsp salt)
canola oil for frying

In a large mixing bowl, combine crab, Panko and herbs. Season with salt and pepper and fold in the eggs. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Form mixture into 6-8 patties. Make sure to press firmly; they take a bit of force to hold them together. Pan fry in 1/4 inch canola oil over medium high heat, approx. 4 minutes per side or until nicely golden brown (careful not to burn yourself on the flip). Serve hot!

I served them with some faux-aioli, I just mixed some mayo with quite a bit of lemon juice and cumin and it was the perfect little dipping sauce combo. We had a nice little green salad on the side with the rest of that diced red bell pepper and a glass of leftover white wine. It was an awesome dinner. I highly recommend it, even though I am usually not one for frying stuff (I always make a mess).

No comments: